Dr Ting WangOffice: Science III, room 518
Director of Studies (200- and 300-levels)
PhD in Statistics, Massey University (Dean’s List of Exceptional Doctoral Theses);
MSc in Statistics, Beijing Normal University (graduated 1 year ahead of schedule);
BSc in Statistics, Beijing Normal University
My research interests span across statistical theories and applications (mainly in epidemic processes such as earthquake and volcanic hazards), including
- Point process theory
- Stochastic models, especially in geophysics
- Hidden Markov models and their applications
- Survival analysis
- Robust statistics
- 2015-2018 Marsden Fund Fast-Start "Developing inversion methods for non-stationary thinning of point processes"
- 2015-2017 Natural Hazards Research Platform contestable grant, “First steps to a national volcano hazard model: Estimation of time varying hazard from New Zealand volcanoes through expert elicitation and Bayesian analogues”, (AI; Principal investigator: Mark Bebbington, Massey University)
- 2014-2016 EQC (Earthquake Commission) "Automated objective identification of seismic phases"
- 2017 University of Otago Early Career Award for Distinction in Research
- 2013 Worsley Early Career Research Award from the New Zealand Statistical Association recognizing outstanding recent published research from a New Zealand statistician in the early stages of their career
- 2017- Senior Lecturer, University of Otago
- 2012-2016 Lecturer, University of Otago
- 2012.7-2012.11 Visiting Research Fellow, Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo
- 2010-11 Postdoctoral Fellow, Volcanic Risk Solutions, Massey University
- STAT110 Statistical Methods (2012, 2013)
- STAT261 Probability and Inference 1 (2012-2018)
- STAT270 Probability and Inference (2019)
- STAT352 Applied Time Series
- STAT372 Stochastic Modelling
- STAT411 Probability and Inference 3
- STAT412 Generalised Linear Models (2013-2017)
- STAT444 Stochastic Processes (2017)
- Amina Shahzadi (Co-supervisors: Matthew Parry, Mark Bebbington)
- Jodie Buckby
- Jonathan Griffin (Department of Geology) (Primary supervisor: Mark Stirling, Co-supervisor: Matt Gerstenberger)
- Yiming Ma (Primary supervisor: Fabien Montiel)
- Henry Ndukwe (School of Pharmacy) (Primary supervisor: Prasad Nishtala, Co-supervisors: June Tordoff)
- Emily Kawabata (Massey University) (Primary supervisor: Mark Bebbington, Co-supervisors: Shane Cronin, Gill Jolly)
MSc Students completed
- Jodie Buckby, 2017 (started PhD)
- Yunan Wang, 2016
Honours and PGDipSci students
- Willie Huang, 2018
- Jie Kang, 2017
- Qing Ruan, 2017 (Primary supervisor: Tilman Davies)
- Jodie Buckby, 2016
- Yunan Wang, 2015
- Wang, T., Schofield, M., Bebbington, M. and Kiyosugi, K. (2019) Bayesian modelling of marked point processes with incomplete records: volcanic eruptions. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, Applied Statistics, https://doi.org/10.1111/rssc.12380.
- Lube, G., Breard, E.C.P., Jones, J., Fullard, L., Dufek, J., Cronin, S.J. and Wang, T. (2019) Generation of air lubrication within pyroclastic density currents. Nature Geoscience, 12, 381-386.
- Zhuang, J., Wang, T. and Kiyosugi, K. (2019) Detection and replenishment of missing data in marked point processes, Statistica Sinica, accepted for publication.
- Peng, M., Coutts, D., Wang, T. and Cakmak, Y. O. (2019) Systematic review of olfactory shifts related to obesity. Obesity Reviews, 20(2), 325-338. doi: 10.1111/obr.12800.
- Wang, T., Zhuang, J., Buckby, J., Obara, K. and Tsuruoka, H. (2018) Identifying the recurrence patterns of non‐volcanic tremors using a 2D hidden Markov model with extra zeros. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 123, 6802-6825. https://doi.org/10.1029/2017JB015360. HMMextra0s R package from CRAN
- Bebbington, M., Stirling, M., Cronin, S., Wang, T. and Jolly, G. (2018) National-level long-term eruption forecasts by expert elicitation. Bulletin of Volcanology, 80:56, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-018-1230-4
- Wang, Y., Wang, T. and Zhuang, J. (2018) Modelling continuous time series with many zeros and an application to earthquakes. Environmetrics, 2018;e2500, https://doi.org/ 10.1002/env.2500.
- Zhuang, J., Ogata, Y. and Wang, T. (2017) Data completeness of the Kumamoto earthquake sequence in the JMA catalog and its influence on the estimation of the ETAS parameters. Earth, Planets and Space, 69:36. doi:10.1186/s40623-017-0614-6.
- Stirling, M., Bebbington, M., Brenna, M., Cronin, S., …, Wang, T., White, J. D. L., Wilson, C. J. N. and Wilson, T. (2017) Conceptual development of a national volcanic hazard model for New Zealand. Frontiers in Earth Science, 5, 51. doi: 10.3389/feart.2017.00051.
- Wang, T., Zhuang, J., Obara, K. and Tsuruoka, H. (2016) Hidden Markov Modeling of Sparse Time Series from Non-volcanic Tremor Observations. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, Applied Statistics, 66, Part 4, 691–715. HMMextra0s R package or HMMextra0s R package from CRAN
- Nduwke, H. C., Wang, T., Tordoff, J., Croucher, M. J. and Nishtala, P. S. (2016) Geographic variation in psychotropic drug utilisation among older people in New Zealand, Australasian Journal On Ageing, 35 (4), 242-248.
- Ndukwe, H. C., Nishtala, P. S., Wang, T.,Tordoff, J. M. (2016) Quality use of antipsychotic medicines in residential aged care facilities in New Zealand. Journal of Primary Health Care, 8 (4), 335-343.
- Kawabata, E., Bebbington, M. S., Cronin, S. J. and Wang, T. (2016) Optimal likelihood matching of volcanic sources and deposits in the Auckland Volcanic Field. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 323, 194-208.
- Williams, J. N., Toy, V. G., Massiot, C., McNamara, D. D., Wang, T. (2016) Damaged beyond repair? Characterising the damage zone of a fault late in its interseismic cycle, the Alpine Fault, New Zealand. Journal of Structural Geology, 90, 76-94.
- Kiyosugi, K., Connor, C. B., Sparks, R. S. J., Crosweller, H. S., Brown, S. K., Siebert, L., Wang, T. and Takarada, S. (2015) How Many Explosive Eruptions are Missing from the Geologic Record? Analysis of the Quaternary Record of Large Magnitude Explosive Eruptions in Japan. Journal of Applied Volcanology, 4:17.
- Zheng, H., Li, Y., Chen, J. M., Wang, T., Huang, Q., Huang, W. X., Wang, L. H., Li, S. M., Yuan, W. P., Zheng, X., Zhang, S. P., Chen Z. Q. and Jiang, F. (2015) A global carbon assimilation system based on a dual optimization method. Biogeosciences, 12, 1131-1150.
- Kawabata, E., Cronin, S. J., Bebbington, M. S., Moufti, M. R. H., El-Masry, N. and Wang, T. (2015) Identifying multiple eruption phases from a compound tephra blanket: an example of the AD1256 Al-Madinah eruption, Saudi Arabia. Bulletin of Volcanology, 77:6.
- Nduwke, H. C., Tordoff, J., Wang, T. and Nishtala P. S. (2014) Psychotropic medicine utilization in older people in New Zealand from 2005 to 2013. Drugs & Aging, 31, 755-768.
- Nishtala, P., Narayan, S. W., Wang, T. and Hilmer S. N. (2014) Associations of Drug Burden Index with falls, general practitioner visits, and mortality in older people. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 23, 753-758.
- Zheng, H., Li, Y., Chen, J. M., Wang, T., Huang, Q. and Sheng, Y. (2014) Applying a dual optimization method to quantify carbon fluxes: recent progress in carbon flux inversion. Chinese Science Bulletin, 59(2), 222-226.
- Wang, T., Zhuang, J., Kato, T. and Bebbington, M. (2013) Assessing the potential improvement in short-term earthquake forecasts from incorporation of GPS data. Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 2631–2635. R code, please email me for the data files
- Wang, T. and Bebbington, M. (2013) Robust estimation for the Weibull process applied to eruption records. Mathematical Geosciences, 45, 851-872.
- Kawabata, E., Bebbington, M., Cronin, S.J. and Wang, T. (2013) Modeling thickness variability in tephra deposition. Bulletin of Volcanology, 75:738.
- Wang, T. and Bebbington, M. (2013) Identifying anomalous signals in GPS data using HMMs: An increased likelihood of earthquakes? Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 58, 27-44.
- Wang, T. and Bebbington, M. (2012) Estimating the likelihood of an eruption from a volcano with missing onsets in its record. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 243–244, 14–23.
- Wang, T., Bebbington, M. and Harte, D. (2012) Markov-modulated Hawkes process with stepwise decay. The Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, 64, 521-544. MMHP R package
- Wang, T., Bebbington, M. and Harte, D. (2011) Extracting coseismic signals from groundwater data. Mathematical Geosciences, 43, 799-817.
- Wang, T., Bebbington, M. and Harte, D. (2010) A comparative study of coherence, mutual information and cross-intensity models. International Journal of Information & Systems Sciences, 6(1), 49-60.
- Wang, T., Li, Y. and Cui, H. (2007) On weighted randomly trimmed means. Journal of Systems Science and Complexity, 20(1), 47-65.
- Wang, T., Li, Y., Ma, L. and Huang, J. (2006) Limited power law formula and Omori law. Earthquake Research in China, 22(3), 321-326.
- Statistical Models for Earthquakes Incorporating Ancillary Data. Available here
- Yan S.J. and Liu X.F. (2006). On the estimation of the regression coefficients of a continuous parameter process with stationary residual. Journal Frontiers of Mathematics in China, 1(2), 201-233. (Translated by Wang Ting from the Chinese version of the paper published in Journal of Beijing Normal University (Natural Sciences), 1965, 1: 15–44)
- 2016, Long-term spatiotemporal variation of seismic activity. Peking University, China.
- 2016, From China to New Zealand -- Using statistics to aid earthquake forecasting. Peking University, China.
- 2016, Identification of seismic phases using Markov-modulated marked Hawkes processes. Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2015, Marked point process modeling with missing data in volcanic eruption records. Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2014, Modelling of seismic activity using Markov-modulated Hawkes process and its extensions. Istituto di Matematica Applicata e Tecnologie Informatiche, Milan, Italy.
- 2014, Estimating the likelihood of volcanic eruptions with incomplete eruption record. Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2012, Statistical analysis of long-term seismicity and short-term earthquake forecasting. Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo, Japan.
- 2012, Hidden Markov models in modelling earthquake data. Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2010, Statistical analysis of earthquake data and volcanic eruptions. GNS, Wairakei, New Zealand.
- 2010, The use of Hidden Markov Models in modelling earthquake data. Hotstuff Seminar series at University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.