Dr Ting WangOffice: Science III, room 518
PhD in Statistics, Massey University (Dean’s List of Exceptional Doctoral Theses);
MSc in Statistics, Beijing Normal University (graduated 1 year ahead of schedule);
BSc in Statistics, Beijing Normal University
My research interests span across statistical theories and applications (mainly in epidemic processes such as earthquake and volcanic hazards), including
- Point process theory
- Stochastic models, especially in geophysics
- Hidden Markov models and their applications
- Survival analysis
- Robust statistics
- 2015-2018 Marsden Fund Fast-Start "Developing inversion methods for non-stationary thinning of point processes"
- 2015-2017 Natural Hazards Research Platform contestable grant, “First steps to a national volcano hazard model: Estimation of time varying hazard from New Zealand volcanoes through expert elicitation and Bayesian analogues”, (AI; Principal investigator: Mark Bebbington, Massey University)
- 2014-2016 EQC (Earthquake Commission) "Automated objective identification of seismic phases"
- 2017 University of Otago Early Career Award for Distinction in Research
- 2013 Worsley Early Career Research Award from the New Zealand Statistical Association recognizing outstanding recent published research from a New Zealand statistician in the early stages of their career
Project for Master of Science
- There is an MSc scholarship available to support a student for full-time study towards a research Master's degree in the project "Developing Inversion Methods for Non-stationary Thinning of Point Processes".
This has been filled.
- 2017- Senior Lecturer, University of Otago
- 2012-2016 Lecturer, University of Otago
- 2012.7-2012.11 Visiting Research Fellow, Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo
- 2010-11 Postdoctoral Fellow, Volcanic Risk Solutions, Massey University
- 2006 Visiting Research Fellow, the Institute of Statistical Mathematics in Japan
- STAT110 Statistical Methods (2012, 2013)
- STAT261 Probability and Inference 1
- STAT412 Generalised Linear Models
- STAT444 Stochastic Processes
- Amina Shahzadi (Co-supervisors: Matthew Parry; Mark Bebbington (Massey University))
- Henry Ndukwe (School of Pharmacy) (Chief supervisor: Prasad Nishtala (School of Pharmacy); Co-supervisors: June Tordoff (School of Pharmacy))
- Emily Kawabata (Massey University) (Chief supervisor: Mark Bebbington (Massey University); Co-supervisors: Shane Cronin (University of Auckland) and Gill Jolly (GNS))
- Yunan Wang, 2016
- Jodie Buckby, 2017
- Zhuang, J., Ogata, Y. and Wang, T. (2017) Data completeness of the Kumamoto earthquake sequence in the JMA catalog and its influence on the estimation of the ETAS parameters. Earth, Planets and Space, 69:36. doi:10.1186/s40623-017-0614-6.
- Stirling, M., Bebbington, M., Brenna, M., Cronin, S., …, Wang, T., White, J. D. L., Wilson, C. J. N. and Wilson, T. (2017) Conceptual development of a national volcanic hazard model for New Zealand. Frontiers in Earth Science, 5, 51. doi: 10.3389/feart.2017.00051.
- Wang, T., Zhuang, J., Obara, K. and Tsuruoka, H. (2016) Hidden Markov Modeling of Sparse Time Series from Non-volcanic Tremor Observations. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, Applied Statistics, doi:10.1111/rssc.12194.
- Nduwke, H. C., Wang, T., Tordoff, J., Croucher, M. J. and Nishtala, P. S. (2016) Geographic variation in psychotropic drug utilisation among older people in New Zealand, Australasian Journal On Ageing, 35 (4), 242-248.
- Ndukwe, H. C., Nishtala, P. S., Wang, T.,Tordoff, J. M. (2016) Quality use of antipsychotic medicines in residential aged care facilities in New Zealand. Journal of Primary Health Care, 8 (4), 335-343.
- Kawabata, E., Bebbington, M. S., Cronin, S. J. and Wang, T. (2016) Optimal likelihood matching of volcanic sources and deposits in the Auckland Volcanic Field. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 323, 194-208.
- Williams, J. N., Toy, V. G., Massiot, C., McNamara, D. D., Wang, T. (2016) Damaged beyond repair? Characterising the damage zone of a fault late in its interseismic cycle, the Alpine Fault, New Zealand. Journal of Structural Geology, 90, 76-94.
- Kiyosugi, K., Connor, C. B., Sparks, R. S. J., Crosweller, H. S., Brown, S. K., Siebert, L., Wang, T. and Takarada, S. (2015) How Many Explosive Eruptions are Missing from the Geologic Record? Analysis of the Quaternary Record of Large Magnitude Explosive Eruptions in Japan. Journal of Applied Volcanology, 4:17.
- Zheng, H., Li, Y., Chen, J. M., Wang, T., Huang, Q., Huang, W. X., Wang, L. H., Li, S. M., Yuan, W. P., Zheng, X., Zhang, S. P., Chen Z. Q. and Jiang, F. (2015) A global carbon assimilation system based on a dual optimization method. Biogeosciences, 12, 1131-1150.
- Kawabata, E., Cronin, S. J., Bebbington, M. S., Moufti, M. R. H., El-Masry, N. and Wang, T. (2015) Identifying multiple eruption phases from a compound tephra blanket: an example of the AD1256 Al-Madinah eruption, Saudi Arabia. Bulletin of Volcanology, 77:6.
- Nduwke, H. C., Tordoff, J., Wang, T. and Nishtala P. S. (2014) Psychotropic medicine utilization in older people in New Zealand from 2005 to 2013. Drugs & Aging, 31, 755-768.
- Nishtala, P., Narayan, S. W., Wang, T. and Hilmer S. N. (2014) Associations of Drug Burden Index with falls, general practitioner visits, and mortality in older people. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 23, 753-758.
- Zheng, H., Li, Y., Chen, J. M., Wang, T., Huang, Q. and Sheng, Y. (2014) Applying a dual optimization method to quantify carbon fluxes: recent progress in carbon flux inversion. Chinese Science Bulletin, 59(2), 222-226.
- Wang, T., Zhuang, J., Kato, T. and Bebbington, M. (2013) Assessing the potential improvement in short-term earthquake forecasts from incorporation of GPS data. Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 2631–2635.
- Wang, T. and Bebbington, M. (2013) Robust estimation for the Weibull process applied to eruption records. Mathematical Geosciences, 45, 851-872.
- Kawabata, E., Bebbington, M., Cronin, S.J. and Wang, T. (2013) Modeling thickness variability in tephra deposition. Bulletin of Volcanology, 75:738.
- Wang, T. and Bebbington, M. (2013) Identifying anomalous signals in GPS data using HMMs: An increased likelihood of earthquakes? Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 58, 27-44.
- Wang, T. and Bebbington, M. (2012) Estimating the likelihood of an eruption from a volcano with missing onsets in its record. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 243–244, 14–23.
- Wang, T., Bebbington, M. and Harte, D. (2012) Markov-modulated Hawkes process with stepwise decay. The Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, 64, 521-544.
- Wang, T., Bebbington, M. and Harte, D. (2011) Extracting coseismic signals from groundwater data. Mathematical Geosciences, 43, 799-817.
- Wang, T., Bebbington, M. and Harte, D. (2010) A comparative study of coherence, mutual information and cross-intensity models. International Journal of Information & Systems Sciences, 6(1), 49-60.
- Wang, T., Li, Y. and Cui, H. (2007) On weighted randomly trimmed means. Journal of Systems Science and Complexity, 20(1), 47-65.
- Wang, T., Li, Y., Ma, L. and Huang, J. (2006) Limited power law formula and Omori law. Earthquake Research in China, 22(3), 321-326.
- Statistical Models for Earthquakes Incorporating Ancillary Data. Available here
- Yan S.J. and Liu X.F. (2006). On the estimation of the regression coefficients of a continuous parameter process with stationary residual. Journal Frontiers of Mathematics in China, 1(2), 201-233. (Translated by Wang Ting from the Chinese version of the paper published in Journal of Beijing Normal University (Natural Sciences), 1965, 1: 15–44)
- Wang, T. (19/12/2014) Modelling of seismic activity using Markov-modulated Hawkes process and its extensions. Istituto di Matematica Applicata e Tecnologie Informatiche, Milan, Italy.
- Wang, T. (14/01/2014) Estimating the likelihood of volcanic eruptions with incomplete eruption record. Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.
- Wang, T. (25/10/2012) Statistical analysis of long-term seismicity and short-term earthquake forecasting. Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo, Japan.
- Wang, T. (24/07/2012) Hidden Markov models in modelling earthquake data. Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.
- Wang, T. (15/12/2010) Statistical analysis of earthquake data and volcanic eruptions. GNS, Wairakei, New Zealand.
- Wang, T. (08/10/2010) The use of Hidden Markov Models in modelling earthquake data. Hotstuff Seminar series at University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.
- Wang, T. (29/01/2008) Coseismic Responses for Global Teleseismics at Tangshan Well. Institute of Earthquake Sciences, China Earthquake Administration, Beijing, China.
- Wang, T. (05/10/2007) Nonhomogeneous hidden Markov models for geophysical hazard. Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand.