Students who have already acquired a first degree are welcome to undertake postgraduate study in Statistics. The options available are summarised below.
Library guide — Use this guide to search for information on all aspects of mathematics.
There are three postgraduate degrees available in Statistics:
- Honours Degree A student with a BSc or BA in Statistics can extend their knowledge by studying for this extra one-year degree consisting mostly of 400-level papers. An honours degree in Maths or Stats is the standard qualification for entrance to a Ph.D program, both in New Zealand and overseas.
- Master of Science (MSc) A student with a BSc can take this degree in two years, with the first year consisting of course work — essentially the fourth year of the honours degree in Mathematics or Statistics — and the second year taken up in the preparation of a thesis. A student with a BSc(Hons) or PGDipSci can finish in one year with the preparation of a thesis only. It is also possible to do an MSc part time.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) The usual prerequisite is at least a very strong upper second class honours degree with a large component of Mathematics or Statistics, or an MSc degree.
There are three diplomas or certificates available in Mathematics or Statistics:
- Postgraduate Diploma of Science (PGDipSci) This is essentially the fourth year of the Honours degree in Mathematics or Statistics.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Statistics (PGDipApStat) This programme, like the DipGrad, is designed separately for each student. It is an excellent preparation for someone wanting to work in business, industry or a research organisation.
- Diploma for Graduates (DipGrad) This is a programme, designed separately for each student, containing at least 120 points, 72 of which are at or above 300-level. It can be taken in Mathematics or Statistics or in approved combination with other subjects. The DipGrad may be "endorsed" in Statistics if it includes at least 54 points from 300-level major or 400-level Statistics papers.
- PGradCertAppSc(QGEN) The Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Science in Quantitative Genetics.
Advisors for postgraduate study
To find out more about these degrees and diplomas, or to get general advice on which course of study is right for you, please contact
For more specific information contact